History of Add En On Kennels
Add-En-On is a third generation family owned and operated business that was established in 1937. In the early 1930’s Dr. Carl T. Harris and his wife, Grace Peck Harris, were the living in the City of Rochester. Dr. Harris was a prominent orthopedic surgeon serving as a board member to many of the hospitals in Rochester as well as his office on Alexander Street. The Harris family was asked to “move to the country” because they were caring for 27 dogs and puppies of their own. In the spring of 1937, Dr. Harris, his wife Grace, their two children Carl Jr. and Elizabeth, and all of their beloved dogs moved to the farm located on 112 Pond Rd. They purchased 86 acres and a lovely Victorian farm house next to Mendon Ponds park for their family. Add-En-On started out as a breeding kennel for the families Great Pyrenees and Norwegian Elkhounds.
In the 1940’s, showing, training and raising dogs was a hobby for Dr. Harris and his wife and something they dearly loved. In addition to being a breeding kennel, Add-En-On began hosting dog shows. Their Great Pyrenees champion line, can still be found today in breeding history books. Dr. Harris passed away in 1945. That left a great hole here at Add-En-On and for the dogs.
W. Bruce Coates came to Add-En-On in search for a job after serving in WWII as an Advanced Scout dog handler. He, along with his Doberman scout, “Duke” came to find a place here working and showing the dogs. In 1948, W. Bruce Coates, married Elizabeth Harris, Dr. and Mrs. Harris’ daughter and would come to be the second generation owners. They purchased Add-En-On from Grace Peck Harris in 1960.
Throughout the 1940’s there were many grand champion Pyrenees raised and shown here. Grace Harris Peck also started a “Kennel Management Course” that grew so large that it became a correspondence course for people all over the world. The 1950’s was the start of a new era. People, whom had purchased puppies from Add-En-On, needed a place to leave their beloved dogs when they went away. In their minds there was only one place to go – Add-En-On. In the 1960’s, Add-En-On was no longer a breeding kennel, they kept “adding on” to accommodate their growing dog boarding facility.
W. Bruce and Elizabeth raised a family of three at the farm, while they worked helping
Add-En-On continue to grow. Lawrence, Bruce and Lynn grew up loving dogs. Lawrence took a turn at running the kennel only to find his true calling took him west. Lynn also found her calling away from Add-En-On in horses. Bruce, came back to help his mother, Elizabeth run the kennel when his oldest brother moved west. In 1982, Bruce W. Coates, purchased Add-En-On and the 5 1/2 acres it sits on today. Monroe County Parks system over the years had purchased the rest of the 80 acres. Bruce has built Add-En-On to it great size and reputation today with hard work and patience. Add-En-On became a charter member of ABKA – American Boarding Kennels Association. Bruce was an active member.
In 2007, Add-En-On celebrated its 70th birthday under the ownership and management of Dr. and Mrs. Harris’ grandson, and third generation owner Bruce W. Coates. For a brief time, a fourth generation, was employed here, Alissa Lauren Coates, Bruce’s only daughter. Alissa actually was able to assist a client, whom had purchased his first dog from her great grandmother, Grace Harris Peck so many years before, making Mr. William Hawley, a four generation client. Alissa has also found her true calling away from Add-En-On, at Berklee College of Music in Boston in pursuit of a music education degree.
Today Add-En-On is still one of the largest kennels in the state of New York. Add-En-On continues to provide a safe, caring, family like environment for all types of dogs, cats, rabbits, fish, birds, hamsters and all other kinds of pets.